Happy Cinco de Mayo! The most gorgeous weather we've had so far this year is forecasted to continue through the weekend, even reaching the upper 80's. So, let's get outside and enjoy some Cinco de Mayo festivities and some other great goings-on in Portland this weekend.
May 3rd, 4th and 5th, 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Come to Waterfront Park and enjoy three days of celebrating Mexico's freedom, food, culture and crafts. Highlights at this year's festival include:
- Carnival Rides - a perennial fan favorite! Consider eating AFTER riding the Kamikaze.
- Artisan's Village - a new feature, come see artists at work and available to answer your questions.
- Mariachi and Ballet Folklorico Mexico En La Piel - Bringing together traditional music and regional dances. Check website for performance times.
- Many well-known bands bringing you the sounds of Mexico and other Latin styles of music.
- FOOD. Don't miss some of the region's best Mexican food all in one place.
- Friday night only - come see a huge fireworks display beginning at 9:55 pm.
Click on the link above for pricing information and more. Portland's Cinco de Mayo celebration is always a good time.
An increasingly popular race in the Rose City, join other runners Sunday morning at Pioneer Courthouse Square for the fun and challenging Cinco de Mayo 5k/10k/Half Marathon. Participants get tasty beer from Lagunitas, great food from
Pepino's restaurant and live mariachi music at the after race party,
all included in registration. May 5th, "doors open" at 6:30 am. It's not too late to register and pick up a race packet.
3. Neighborhood Mexican Restaurants
Take a look around your neighborhood and chances are you will find a local, family-owned Mexican restaurant celebrating Cinco de Mayo. Nuestra Cocina on NE Division was voted Best Mexican Restaurant in Portland in 2012, and perennial West Side favorite, Chez José on SW Terwilliger are great places to check out.
For some variety in your weekend, take a look at these other cool things happening in the area this weekend:
A benefit for Share Our Strength, food bloggers from all over the region are coming together to bake and make their very best to raise money to help end childhood hunger. May 4th, 10:00 am - until sold out! (Come early!) Held at the Oregon Historical Society, there will be a variety of foods available, including vegan and gluten-free yummies.
Hillsdale, along Capital Highway in Southwest Portland, is celebrating spring with a family-friendly event that includes live music, bouncyhouses, and an opportunity to check out the local businesses that make up Hillsdale's Main Street. Hillsdale is a re-blossoming neighborhood with restaurants, food carts, a co-op grocery store and a wine bar. Buy Local!
If none of those choices grab you, this weekend is perfect for a hike in the Gorge or a bike ride along Willamette Park. Our region is rich with beauty and fantastic things to do. Enjoy!